9.21.2015

"We are Stardust" .. "Dust in the Wind"


"Dust In The Wind"
Lyrics:


I close my eyes only for a moment, and the moment's gone

All my dreams pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea All we do crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind (all we are is dust in the wind)

Dust in the wind (everything is dust in the wind), everything is dust in the wind (the wind)
Woodstock by Joni Mitchell
Lyrics:


I came upon a child of God He was walking along the road And I asked him, where are you going And this he told me

I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm I'm going to join in a rock 'n' roll band I'm going to camp out on the land I'm going to try an' get my soul free

We are stardust ,We are golden, And we've got to get ourselves Back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you I have come here to lose the smog And I feel to be a cog in something turning

Well maybe it is just the time of year Or maybe it's the time of man I don't know who l am But you know life is for learning

We are stardust We are golden And we've got to get ourselves Back to the garden

By the time we got to Woodstock We were half a million strong And everywhere there was song and celebration

And I dreamed I saw the bombers Riding shotgun in the sky And they were turning into butterflies Above our nation

We are stardust Billion year old carbon We are golden

Caught in the devil's bargain And we've got to get ourselves Back to the garden

How 40,000 Tons of Cosmic Dust Falling to Earth Affects You and Me

 Excerpt:
Our bodies are made of remnants of stars and massive explosions in the galaxies, authors say. Talking from their home in Palo Alto, California, they explain how everything in us originated in cosmic explosions billions of years ago, how our bodies are in a constant state of decay and regeneration, and why singer Joni Mitchell was right. "We are stardust," Joni Mitchell famously sang in "Woodstock." It turns out she was right, wasn't she?
Comments:

This is my second blogpost on Worldview. Click on the label "Worldview" for all posts on this subject (so far just one besides this one!).

I grew up on this kind of music and frankly I like some of it. I particularly like the sound of Kansas. Aside from the sound of Kansas and Joni's beautiful voice, the lyrics are worth considering. Elements (major elements!) of a worldview are in these songs. I personally believe, but am not defending here, that Adam was the first man and was created from the dust of the earth. One can read about this in the early chapters of Genesis.

Today's question as one considers Worldview: Are we but dust ... carbon ... stardust .. in the wind? Is there an metaphysical part of a human that has a soul that is eternal? I think so because I believe the Bible about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic