3.17.2013

Is Secular Work Valued by God?



Is Secular Work Valued by God?

Comment: The article above is good and I probably could not improve upon it!

Image source:

Secular jobs I've had (actually I am more comfortable calling them jobs! The Lord is Lord of all including what some would call "the secular"!

  • Lawn mower (throughout my youth)
  • Snow shoveler (ditto)
  • Painter (ditto)
  • Greenhouse worker
  • Chemical plant worker (Monsanto)
  • Shoe salesman
  • Airline representative (American airlines)
  • Computer salesman
  • Computer programmer
  • Systems consultant
My take on the "theology" of work!
  • God has ordained work (Genesis 2:15)
  • Work suffers from the curse (Genesis 3:17-ff). I see this daily in the IT business! (Try computer programming if you don't believe me!)
  • A Christian should provide for himself and his family: "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." (1 Timothy 5:8)
  • "Star gazing" slackers who can work and won't are a disgrace! "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." (2 Thessalonians 3:10)
  • We are commanded to work: "Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread." (1 Thessalonians 3:12)
  • We are to work honestly, provide for self, and have sufficient remaining to provide for the church and others with genuine needs: "Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need" Ephesians 4:28
  • Christians are to prudently prepare for the future. This is called saving! "Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest (Proverbs 6:6-8)
I've been working since my early adolescence. My earliest tools were the lawmower and the snow shovel. I loved snow shoveling and I could work all day digging out driveways. I celebrate work and thank the Lord for the jobs (call them secular if you wish!) He has given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic