12.15.2012

Investing in the Food Companies


The Insider's Guide to Food Investing
Excerpt:


It’s time to be bullish on everything related to food—restaurants, food producers, fertilizers, equipment makers, even water, says Ramesh Gulati. He tells Kate Stalter about a slew of well-known and not-so-well-known names that could benefit by growing demand for agricultural products
Comment: My chart: Not all are direct competitors. A target stock for 2013 is Nestle (I have all of 5 shares!). I like them because people have to eat and these are major food producers / distributors. I don't have all of the stocks on my list. I do have General Mills (GIS). Most pay a reasonable dividend. Click on image to enlarge

2 comments:

  1. I really need to talk with our legal department to see what food companies I can invest in. Most of those are our competitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your legal department (or ethics department would be ok but good to check.

    A fellow member of my church challenged my ethics about investing in other banks (a couple of years ago when I bought 5th Third). I called our ethics department and they cleared me.

    Unethical lines (among others): can't take a gift from a customer or vendor (and I'm not in a position that that is offered anyway). Can't be on a board of a competitor (ditto). Can't buy a house that is being sold by the company - Wells Fargo real estate owned property.

    I also asked about investing in Prosper loans because same guy challenged me on that. Ethics said OK with that too.

    I'm no longer in Prosper loans but I do have stock in US Bank and JP Morgan Chase (and 2 other smaller banks)

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic