8.11.2008

Disappointing experience at McDonald's


Because I walk with crutches I have a very hard time carrying things.

I actually can carry alot - in a backpack. I can carry a bag full of books for example. Or I can carry my company laptop with all kinds of techie paraphernalia. I can carry small things (like a small Bible) in my hand (and still grip my crutches). Today I carried a mail bag from our work area over to the mail drop (the mail was in a big company bag. I looped the bag handle over my crutch grip). I can carry a bottle or can of pop in my pocket.

What I cannot carry is anything that has to be perfectly level (like an open glass or a tray of food). The herky - jerky motion of my gate just doesn't work for carrying anything open. Also I cannot put even one hand on a tray.

After 21 years of being handicapped, this is just not too much of a problem. I do what I can do and what I can't do I request help. Handicapped people call this asking "AB" people for help. AB = "able bodied". My dear wife is my AB for most things (I feel sorry for her at times!).

Kathee has had a long day at work. There are system problems with an application (middleware actually) that interfaces with the application she manages. We commute to and from work together but tonight I left work without her. (She is actually still there and it may be an "all-nighter" for her!)

I left work at 5:30 and stopped by the McDonald's in New Hope for dinner. When I ordered dinner I asked the manager (who took my order) if he could bring my dinner (Big Mac, fries, and diet coke) to my table. I know I asked nicely. I've had AB people help me like this for 2 decades: buffet lines, fast food restaurants, cafeterias, etc.

Tonight's experience was very disappointing. The manager did bring my tray but no drink. I asked for my drink and he gave me "a look" and can back with an empty cup. I said "please bring me a diet coke" and again I got a negative look. I said, directly my glance to my crutches that were leaning against the table, that I can't carry a glass with my crutches.

I'm not complaining (perhaps I am!). Thankfully tonight's experience is not at all typical. As a matter of fact in 20 years I don't think I've had anything like this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic