2.15.2008

Answering a question about evangelism

Question sent to me:

I want to learn to properly talk to the lost about Jesus Christ. Can you help me?

Brief answer:

If you look at the way Jesus dealt with sinners in the Gospel of John ... there was no "one size fits all" approach to evangelism. Consider the contrast as to how the Lord dealt with the woman at the well in John 4 (1-11) vs Nicodemus in John 3.

Also look at the contrasting Apostolic gospel presentations in Acts 2 vs Acts 17.

If you consider the analogy of "fishing" ("Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men". (Matt 4:19)) ... not every fish is caught the same way (I'm not much of a fisherman but I do know this to be so),

It seems that some things are required of the evangelist (the one who shares good news): to be personally surrendered to Christ, to have a love for men, to be obedient to the Lord.

It also strikes me that the ultimate evangelist is God Himself. The Holy Spirit "convict(s) the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment" (John 16:8). I understand this to mean, the the Spirit convinces men that they are sinners, that God is righteous, and that God will surely judge.

Kathee and I read Psalm 9 & 10 tonight and I found this interesting in 10:13:

Why do the wicked renounce God?
He has said in his heart,
“You will not require an account.”

I see in this verse that the one who rejects God does not believe that God will judge sin.

I understand that since the work of salvation is a work that God accomplishes, that that success will come from petitioning God in prayer. In this truth I see the need to pray for (by name when possible) for the lost.


Question to readers: What thoughts or ideas might you add about evangelism?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that Jonathan Edwards when he preached to the Native Americans preached the law as if it was needed. Then after a while they came back to him and said that it was impossible to keep the law. Then he said that one man kept the law, Jesus Christ. And if you believe in the work of Jesus you will be saved. I think Greg Comfort(sp) uses something very similar. I personally do something similar. I dont prefer John Pipers way which is to preach the gloriousness of Christ and then as a side the sinfulness of humanity. I should get you this audio file of John Piper and Ian Murray discussing this very thing. Ian Murray sided with Jonathan Edwards. It was actually a little humerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughtful comment, Daniel!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic