1.24.2008

Save your rebate!



Don't Spend Your Stimulus Rebate!

Excerpt:

If Uncle Sam sends you a check of a few hundred dollars as part of the new economic "stimulus" package, don't bother trying to stimulate the economy with it.

By far the smartest thing you can do with the money, if you can afford to, is to save it instead.

Comment: Best not to count one's chickens before they hatch ... but if and when that check comes, save it or invest it! I predict that thousands of Americans will be buying HD TV's, IPODs, and other gizmos! Don't be one of them.

Updated: Rebate details: Senate under pressure to approve stimulus deal to get tax rebates to workers in May

Under the agreement announced by the White House, Boehner and Pelosi, individual taxpayers would get up to $600 in rebates, working couples $1,200 and those with children an additional $300 per child. In a key concession to Democrats, 35 million families who make at least $3,000 but don't pay taxes would get $300 rebates.

The rebates would phase out gradually for individuals whose adjusted gross income exceeds $75,000 and for couples with incomes above $150,000. Contributions to IRA and 401(k) retirement accounts and health savings accounts would not count toward the income limit.

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog; you seem to be a pretty sharp guy and have lot of news. Although,it would be nice to have more interaction. No one seems to say much........Anyway, I'm commenting here on a totally different subject because I couldn't find where you had referenced it it elswhere and it's pretty huge news. What do you think of Sibel Edmonds? Remember those bumper stickers that came out after the Clarence Thomas debacle that said "I believe Anita Hill"? Personally, I didn't believe her then and don't now. But unfortunately, I tend to believe Sibel Edmonds and until I see otherwise, I think she's on to something. I say unfortunately because I wish it weren't seemingly true.
    Jim, can you see this? It's not saying "Awaiting posting by moderator" This is the 3rd time I've hit enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me ... I am just an average (or perhaps a little less than average) "schmo" who is trying to keep my head above water. But thanks for the compliment.

    I've actually never heard of Sibel Edmonds, but I did find a Wikipedia article on her: Sibel Edmonds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, you're not alone. Most people have never heard of her. This is just a hunch, but it could be that the media are making sure we are filled with the latest custody battles of Brittney Spears and K-Fed, but sort of downplaying areas of national security. It's interesting that the London Times had this as a major article in the last few days, but nary a word in the American press.

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic