11.29.2007

SQL Server 2005 migration

I'm almost completed migrating my work website (Intranet) from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005.

The hardest so far:


  1. Figuring out what replaces SQL Server 2000 "Entrprise Manager".
  2. The answer is "Management Studio".
  3. The the question was: Where do I get "Management Studio"?
  4. The answer is SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition


I had installed SQL Server 2005 Express, but this edition's Management Studio does not support data transformation (import and export functions). So that was a red herring.

Once I figured out what I needed, the next question was, "where do I get it?". I ended up buying it
from Amazon.

After I received it, I found out that it is available for free for the apppropriate techology people at work. I tried to install it on my XP workstation, but the install did not complete (and the Management Studio did not install). Utter frustration! I wrestled with that in several nights of sleep! (I do my best work while asleep). I ended up installing
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on my Vista workstation and today it all checked out.

I have two environments at work (one can have three, but I find two to suffice). Today I completely checked out my development environment with SQL Server 2005 (a DBA replicated all of my production data from SQL Server 2000 (production) to SQL Server 2005 development. All my code (Cold Fusion) worked flawlessly (I was surprised ... but I attribute this to Cold Fusion not to me!).

So this giant load is off my plate now! Next week the DBA's (Database Administrators) will switch my production environment to SQL Server 2005 and I will be complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic