11.19.2007

SQL Server 2005 conversion

I am working on a SQL Server 2005 conversion of a website (from 2000) and today was frustrating.

I have two environments: basically test and production. We can have three: dev, preview, and production. I use our preview enviroment as my development (test) environment.

What's working:


  1. Our web resource (conversion coordinator) copied my production 2000 database to SQL 2005 test. Checked out OK
  2. I can connect my local Cold Fusion server to this environment. I had an issue there but we worked through that.
  3. I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from Microsoft. I need to have what is called "Management Studio" (replaces the old "Enterprise Manager"). I can connect with my database tables fine.


What is not working:

  1. Turns out I need to full edition of SQL Server 2005 (not just the "Express" version to have the fully functional Management Studio. I cannot get this to install.
  2. I've tried this three times, and it fails on the final step. The log file is of no apparent help to me.


I've ordered SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition from Amazon. Hopefully this will resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic