5.20.2007

Expensive coffee makers

Mr Coffee

One year ago (almost to the week), I bought the most expensive coffee maker we have ever owned. After 33 years of marriage we have had (it seems) probably a dozen coffee pots.

Our first one was a wedding present - a Corning Ware Floral Bouquet Electromatic Percolator. (For those who would like a nostalgic coffee maker ... search Ebay!) We actually had more than one of these ... as the handles kept breaking. I think we had three of these before we moved away from percolated coffee and moved up to drip coffee makers.




Corning Ware Electromatic Percolator

We have had between half a dozen and 10 (per the wife) drip coffee makers. They seem to last about a year or two. Sometimes the carafe breaks ... and a replacement carafe is not available, or costs more than replacing the entire coffee maker, etc. We've typically paid between $ 20 and $ 30 for these machines.

Last year, I bought a Mr. Coffee expensive coffee maker! The last one I would need for a long time. No more el-cheapo ones! I spent approximately $ 60. at Target for this one (illustrated above). It died today. What happened? My enterprising son took the bottom off to figure it out. There is a red hose that connects to a nipple. But the nipple is tucked way up inside the machine. No way to reach fingers up to reconnect. Just pushing the hose up against the nipple wouldn't do it ... it just kept slipping off. So today the made-in-China, semi-expensive Mr. Coffee went in the trash.

We have a French press hand coffee maker. This is labor intensive but makes great coffee: not much of it ... but enough for 2. Kathee made French press for us after dinner.

Meanwhile I am moving on up to a Bunn commercial coffee maker!. I figure if these are good enough for the rigors of my company's break room, one will be good enough for my kitchen. I'll let you know.


Bunn VP171

4 comments:

  1. Let me know how that goes! Audrea and I have only been married for 10 years and we're already on coffee pot #5 or #6! I get so fed up with lousy coffee makers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathee thinks we have had more than 20 coffee makers in 32 1/2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least on track!

    My dream is to have a coffee machine and espresso machine someday hard-plumbed into the house! Now that would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Site is very essential for me. Because I have got many information from here.Thank You ..........

    Coffee Vending Machines

    ReplyDelete

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic