2.27.2007

Charles: Ban the Big Mac



Charles: Ban the Big Mac

Excerpt:


Prince Charles today said banning McDonald's fast food was the key to a healthy lifestyle.


...


He asked nutritionist Nadine Tayara: "Have you got anywhere with McDonald's, have you tried getting it banned? That's the key."



Comment: I've had a lot of food pictures recently on my blog and I'm not sure if this is some subliminal response to my dieting or just a coincidence. But this posting is not really about food ... and not about the Big Mac.


I do like the Big Mac, but truth be told I might only have one several times a year. The last time I had one was on vacation, when Kathee and I stopped at a McDonald's in Tennessee (or Kentucky) because it was raining so hard the wipers could not keep up. We stopped just to rest really, and to wait for the rain to subside. I had a Big Mac and a cup of coffee. As far as I recollect, that was the first Big Mac I had had in a year. That being back in October, I haven't even been in a McDonalds for 4 months!


Would we really want the government to ban a food item? I don't even think the Brits would warm to that idea! Prince Charles comments are another illustration of pompous elitists seeking to limit choice and control society for their own self-aggrandizement.


Isn't it best if we just let people choose or not choose to have that Big Mac?! This is what economists call a "free market"!


Speaking of free markets, perhaps you have heard of the WIKI: Big Mac Index which is an informal way of measuring the purchasing power parity (PPP) between two currencies. Read the WIKI and then consider these links:


The Big Mac Standard


The Economist: Big Mac Index

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic