12.17.2006

125th Anniversary Sunday

This month Fourth Baptist has been celebrating the church's 125th anniversary.


  1. Each Sunday has had something special including a "retro" copy of an old church bulletin. One week from 1918, last week from 1931, and today from 1956
  2. Last week we had a history lesson by Nancy Cox
  3. This week Pastor presented his challenge for our future. We are to have a 1st century emphasis in the 21st century. His text today was Acts 2:42-27


Acts 2:42-47

And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

A First Century Church in a Twenty-First Century World:

  1. A passion for spiritual truth - "apostles' doctrine"
  2. A passion for sacrificial ministry - "fellowship"
  3. A passion for corporate worship - "in the breaking of bread, and in prayers"
  4. A passion for Christian witness - "those who were being saved"


Our choir under the direction of Roger Kilian, performed the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah.



Tonight was the Christmas musical at 4th. It was WOW!

  1. Handbell choirs
  2. Youth choirs
  3. Full orchestra
  4. 4 pianos
  5. Organ
  6. Full choir ... I estimate 60-80 in the choir
  7. We had a whole row of friends with us: Colleen and Steve T (plus Steve's Dad and their son), Dianne E and Deanna. Plus Roger and Rachel.
  8. Afterwards Roger and Rachel went to a singles' fellowship and we went by Roy and Jan's for a bite to eat. I sat by Jeremy V.D. and his wife Sarah. Jeremy is a student at Central Seminary.


Tomorrow:

  1. We have off but I am going into work for 2 hours (max!).
  2. I need to get my glasses repaired
  3. Kathee is going shopping at Macy's (I'm not going) and is going to make Christmas candy


I am icing my ankle tonight. The ice really alleviates the pain and reduces swelling. My strategy is that if it has not improved in a week, I'm going into Park Nicollet the week between Christmas and New Years. I had three years of back pain that stopped 2 years ago when I have back surgery, and now this has started. I don't think it is a big deal and I think that the solution will be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any anonymous comments with links will be rejected. Please do not comment off-topic